Thursday, October 2, 2008

totem animals, and perpendicular perspectives on dating vs jobs

Do you have a totem animal?

I used to think I wanted to be a wolf or coyote, because they look cool? Yeah,
but also because they're sort of independent, lean, strong, and I had this
notion that they were always heading somewhere sort of in constant motion. Then
I realized that they actually do travel in packs and got a bit bored with that
idea.

If I were cornered now I'd go with Black Bear, not because I think I am one
myself but because I think they're cute, I mean look at this..adorable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Black_bear_large.jpg

They're also strong enough to fight off anything that comes around and
generally not very agressive. Oh, and I love fish and salmon and occasional
long naps.

I think I can walk better on my hind legs than most bears I've seen so I might
have a few advantages but then again I'm not sure I could climb a tree or scale
a rocky hill quite as fast. I was surprised to learn black bears can reach
speeds of 30mph. Not too shabby.

Apart from animal musings, I am very pleased to see some momentum on the job
search. I've been slowly gaining momentum however hesitantly since relocating
and after a few marginally interesting leads that thankfully expired I have a
few hopefuls that I am entertaining. This fostered some thought on the parallels or perpendicular intersection of jobs searching and seeking that other special someone.

Tell me your thoughts on this one....Yes, I know I'm the 500th moron to make this ridiculous analogy.

Job searches seem a lot like dating which is why I propose an alternative view to demonstrate Why they're not at all the same.

1. You don't normally blush, smile, or find yourself giggling at anything the
recruiter, contact, hiring manager or other or interviewer tosses at you.
That said, if you're not at all into her/him, I mean, the job you may frown, cough, avoid the question or come up with a lame response to diplomatically avoid saying "I think we're not a good fit"

2. Although prior dating experience is assumed we don't offer a formal CV or
Resume listing photos, our experience, skills, length of employment and
accomplishments with our prior relationships. Hmm... but we do wonder about our
new object of interest. Has she/he dated someone more successful, attractive,
etc in the past or am I the best yet. Of course you're the best, keep thinking
that and you might last long enough to get a promotion.
I wonder if match, fastcupid, nerve, eharmony or any of the other sites will adopt a dating resume format with references, yikes, and do we really want to know all the particulars when we first meet someone.

3. Finding a new job usually happens while still employed. Finding or searching
a new partner while seriously involved with someone invites a whole host of complications and is pretty much a sucky thing to do.

4. When you're unemployed, if you left your prior employer on good terms and involuntarily you may be eligible for some unemployment compensation. Although leaving a relationship on good terms (voluntarily or otherwise) may provide an option for some great ex-nookie, isn't that some of the best? It's not a guarantee, and you will probably remain unemployed/unattached for longer.

5. Being single is pretty liberating. Being unemployed, while also liberating just doesn't have the same wow factor after a while.

I'm feeling pretty liberated this morning, good luck in your searches job, lifestyle, or otherwise.

No comments: